Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Trusted identities on the Internet .. #NSTIC

On a White house blog the NSTIC or National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace is announced. As I understand it, it is to help people manage their identities on the Internet. This first draft of NSTIC was developed in collaboration with key government agencies, business leaders and privacy advocates.

The need to manage your identities starts with being able to manage your password and being the owner of data about you. For me this means that I am the one who decides what information is given to whom.

Even though the need is obvious, I do not want to make Google, Facebook or any business leader the host of my data. At that I prefer for instance the Wikimedia Foundation.

The WMF hosts many international communities, it has policies that aim to protect its users. In many discussions there is talk of a Wiki movement, this is the time to quickly take the initiative and provide a socially acceptable service to manage our identities.
Thanks,
     GerardM

No comments: