Tuesday, October 04, 2011

#MediaWiki 1.18; stating a gender is a drag

With all the #Wikimedia wikis moving over to MediaWiki release 1.18, name spaces support gender. In Dutch there can be a male and a female user.

Addressing our users properly is the polite thing to do. For some languages we expect that women will be more then pleasantly surprised. When this translates in them getting more involved, it will be a good thing.

Things improve and as always, there is always something more to wish for. Dear Wikimedia Foundation, it is quite a drag that I have to state my gender on all your wikis. There is only one me, and I am not confused what gender appeals to me and what gender defines me.
Thanks,
      GerardM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another case where global preferences (https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/14950) are needed